Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Your Health and the Wine Buddy System

I recently came across a slew of great research on the Wine Spectator website indicating the positive effects of wine, especially red wine, on reducing health risks. The idea I want to share with you is an easy way to start a practice of drinking one glass of wine a day without wasting the rest of your bottle of wine.

Its called the Buddy System.

The way I get my one glass a day is to plan my meals ahead and use a meal 'buddy system.' Basically, I choose two or three meals that pair well with the same bottle in on my wine rack and serve them for dinner back to back!

A great way to brainstorm ideas for meals is by using a wine and food pairing website, like the one at Canadian Sommelier Natalie MacLean's website, but there are a few wine and food matching websites out there, so use your favorite.

For instance, a bottle of Pinot Noir can match with:

Grilled Portobello Mushrooms

Grilled Vegetables

Hamburgers

Meatloaf

Pot Roast

Pork With Hoisin & Honey Sauce

Lasagna

Risotto With Mushrooms

Grilled Salmon

Grilled Tuna

Bean-Based Dishes

I’m single, so I choose three meals in a row that match with a wine. For that fourth glass of wine in every bottle, I can use it as the wine in a wine sauce for one of the dishes, as an ingredient in a red wine vinaigrette salad dressing (make leftover wine into red wine vinegar by adding one part wine to three parts white vinegar), or invite a friend or neighbor over for dinner or a glass of wine on the porch one night a week.

Cooking for two is even easier, just plan your wine friendly meals back to back and save the wine bottle overnight in the refrigerator. When you and a friend or loved one share a glass of wine each night, you'll be using your wine wisely and possibly improving your health!

No comments: